Bronwen E. Madden has over 20 years of international trade and business development experience. She previously worked as an executive in both non-profit and state organizations managing operations, strategy, and implementing service delivery on an international scale. She has taught international trade courses at the university level and has served on numerous state and community-based organizations to advance business development initiatives. Bronwen has previous appointments by the U.S. Secretary of Commerce to serve on the District Export Council of Southern California and by two previous Missouri Governors to serve as an ex-officio member on the Missouri Hispanic Business, Trade and Culture Commission. She is a fellowship recipient of the Rotary International, Group Study and Vocational Exchange Programs and the U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, Partners of the Americas Business Exchange Program.
Bronwen is a Certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialist and has a degree from the American Bankers Association Stonier Graduate School of Banking with a Wharton leadership certificate, an Executive Master’s degree in International Business from Saint Louis University, and a Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Missouri – Columbia in Interdisciplinary Studies with an emphasis on International Relations, Economics and Peace Studies, Minor in Spanish. Bronwen has a boutique consulting business for international trade and small business clientele serving the Pacific Rim. She works for West Plains Bank and Trust Company as an Assistant Vice President / Risk Management - BSA Officer and is also the author of HOW BRONWEN GOT HER SMILE BACK. She is from the rural south-central Missouri Ozarks.
A brief account of my education, qualifications, and previous experience.
In-depth knowledge of exporting, importing, global customs and cultures with experience in over 30 countries throughout the Americas, Europe and Asia. Passionate about empowering entrepreneurs with information and resources to facilitate their business growth plan and reach their goals.
StrengthsQuest(TM) Results: Ideation, Activator, Communication, Responsibility, Futuristic
- Project Management
- Grants Development
- Global Market Research
- International Trade Missions
- Export Finance
- International Trade Compliance
- International Trade Consulting
- Public Speaking
- Certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialist (CAMS), 2022
- Certified FastTrac® Planning the Entrepreneurial Venture™ Program, 2016
- Certified Operation JumpStart® Instructor (Microenterprise Development Training), 2014
- Certified GrowthWheel® Instructor (Business Development Training), 2014
- Accredited Certified Global Business Professional (CGBP) Certified Trainer, 2013
- Accredited Certified Global Business Professional (CGBP), 2007
The NASBITE CGBP provides a benchmark for competency in global commerce. The CGBP designation demonstrates an individual's ability to conduct global business including Global Business Management, Global Marketing, Supply Chain Management, and Trade Finance.
- Certified NxLevel Instructor (Entrepreneur Training), 2007
NxLeveL® has become the premier entrepreneurial training program in the U.S. through the development and delivery of curricula designed to teach best practices for small businesses.
West Plains Bank and Trust Company—West Plains, Missouri
Risk Management - BSA Officer (10-2017 to Current)
- Manage the development, implementation and administration of all aspects of the corporate-wide Bank Secrecy Act (BSA) Compliance Program
- Monitor compliance with state and federal Bank Secrecy Act (BSA), USA PATRIOT Act, Anti-Money Laundering (AML), and OFAC laws and regulations
- Serve as the official Recorder of Record for all Bank subpoenas and record requests
- Manage the corporate-wide ABA Frontline Compliance training program and Bank record-keeping requirements
Small Business & Technology Development Center hosted by Missouri State University-West Plains—West Plains, Missouri
Coordinator (05-2014 to 10-2017)
- Deliver technical assistance (training seminars and one-on-one consulting services) for small businesses in the Ozarks
- Facilitate business and resource matching for small business owners and aspiring entrepreneurs
Los Angeles Regional Export Council (LARExC)—Los Angeles, California
Executive Director (09-2013 to 04-2017)
- Manage operations and strategy of regional non-profit organization serving the trade community of Southern California
- Facilitate business and resource matching for exporters and foreign investors; coordinate services with state and city
- Develop and implement professional export services within a responsive regional export network per the Brooking’s Institution’s Global Cities Initiative
Bronwen E. Madden Consulting—Los Angeles, California
Independent Contractor (08-2010 to 04-2017)
Private Business Consulting Services. Clients include the Economic Development Collaborative-Ventura County (Camarillo, CA), El Camino Community College District (Torrance, CA), Los Angeles City College (Los Angeles, CA), the Los Angeles Regional Export Council (Los Angeles, CA), Riverside Community College District (Corona, CA), State Center Community College District (Fresno, CA), and West Valley College (Saratoga, CA).
- International trade mission (in-bound and out-bound) development
- International business matching services
- International trade curriculum development
- Global digital media development
- International trade (export-import) training seminars
- Public speaking and panelist
UCLA Extension, International Trade and Commerce Certificate Program—Los Angeles, California
- Management X460.903—Fundamentals of International Trade
(Summer 2013, Fall 2013, Winter 2014 and Spring 2014)
- Management 777—NASBITE Certified Global Business Professional (CGBP) Exam Prep Review
El Camino College Business Training Center—Hawthorne, California
Acting Director, Center for International Trade Development (09-2012 to 09-2013)
Deputy Director, Center for International Trade Development (07-2006 to 08-2012)
Business Advisor, Small Business Development Center (07-2006 to 09-2013)
- Facilitate and manage state and federal grants including trade capacity building, international trade compliance, aerospace and renewable energy export enabler programs
- Provide export/import assistance to the Los Angeles trade community—international trade events, training seminars, global market research and trade counseling
- City-State Partner for The Export-Import Bank of the United States
Missouri Department of Economic Development—Jefferson City, Missouri
International Business Manager (10-2000 to 07-2006)
- Attracted foreign investment (business expansion/location) to Missouri
- Worked Governor’s trade missions and trade/catalog shows worldwide; host international buyers and foreign dignitaries
- Provided global trade counseling and conduct international market research for private business
- Developed and maintain client and community relationships and official partnerships globally
- Missouri Governor’s Commission on Hispanic Affairs, Ex-officio member appointed by the Governor
The International Center, University of Missouri-Columbia—Columbia, Missouri
International Student Advisor (07-1999 to 10-2000)
- Advised international students in F-1 visa status on immigration rules and regulations
- Managed visa documentation process for international students in F and J status
- Verified financial documentation, issued I-20 and IAP-66 forms and managed health insurance fee waivers for sponsored students
- Conducted orientation seminars and recruitment for incoming international students
- Supervised work-study student workers
- NASBITE International Annual Conference, 2007–2014
- Multiple educational institutions (high-school, junior college, and university level) in Missouri and California, 1999—2014
- Association of Small Business Development Centers (ASBDC) Annual Conference, 2011
- Goldman Sachs 10K Small Business Program, 2011
- National District Export Council (DEC) Annual Conference, 2011
- American Business Fellow, Partners of the Americas, Nicaragua, 2009
Partners of the Americas is an exchange program that focuses on areas related to economic growth, business expansion, and job creation.
- Fellow, Rotary International Group Study Exchange (GSE), South Korea, 2001
Rotary International GSE is a unique cultural and vocational exchange opportunity for businesspeople and professionals.
- ABA Stonier Graduate School of Banking
Wharton Leadership Certificate
- Saint Louis University, Boeing Institute of International Business—St. Louis, Missouri
Executive Master of International Business, 2008
Scholarship recipient; study abroad in Hong Kong, Shanghai and Beijing, China, 2006
- Kansas City World Trade Center/Chamber of Commerce, Global Leadership Opportunities for Business Executives (GLOBE)—Kansas City, Missouri
GLOBE VI Graduate, 2002
Business Mission to Brussels, Belgium; Business Mission to Washington, D.C
- University of Missouri-Columbia—Columbia, Missouri
Bachelor of Arts, Interdisciplinary Studies, 1998
Emphasis: International Relations, Economics and Peace Studies; Minor in Spanish language with study abroad in Cuernavaca (Centro bilingüe) and Guadalajara (Universidad Autónoma de Guadalajara), Mexico; Student Veterinary Research Assistant, Research Animal Diagnostic Laboratory, 1996–1998; AIESEC International internship, Executive Business English Instructor, Mexico City, Mexico, 1998
- ACAMS Member, 2022
- MSU-WP Business, Entrepreneurship & Management Advisory Board Member, 2018-2022
- District Export Council of Southern California Member "By Appointment of the Secretary of Commerce", 2012 to 2014
- NASBITE CGBP Certified Trainer, 2013
- Partners of the Americas (U.S. Department of State) Fellowship at AmCham-Nicaragua, 2009
- Certified Global Business Professional, NASBITE CGBP, 2007 to Present
- Export-Import Bank of the United States City/State Partner, 2007 to 2014
- Los Angeles Area Chamber of Commerce World Trade Week Committee Member, 2007 to 2014
- NxLevel Certified—Entrepreneur Training, 2007
- NASBITE International Member, 2006 to Present
- Women in International Trade-Los Angeles Member, 2006 to 2012
- Missouri Governor’s Commission on Hispanic Affairs, Ex-officio Member 2004 to 2006
- Missouri Economic Development Council (MEDC) Member, 2001 to 2006
- Kansas City Chamber of Commerce/World Trade Center GLOBE VI Graduate, 2002
- Newspaper: Adelante, Treasurer of the Board 2002 to 2004
- Radio Station: 89.5FM KOPN La Hora Latina Technical Producer, 2000 to 2004
- Rotary International Group Study Exchange (GSE), South Korea, 2002
- Principles of Banking Training Course, 2017
- American Bankers Association® online training modules: BSA/AML: Complying with the BSA; BSA/AML: Overview; BSA/AML: USA PATRIOT Act; Bank Protection Act; Equal Credit Opportunity Act (Reg B); Fair Lending; Information Security and Red Flags; Privacy for Customer Contact Personnel; and BSA/AML: SAR Filing, 2017
- The Emmerich Group Inc. TGIM U online training modules: Thank God It's Monday; Hoopla Team®; Marketing; Retail Sales Process; Profit-Rich Sales; Principles of Banking; Manage Like a Rock Star; Strategy; and Service, 2017
- Operation JumpStart® Certified Training Course, 2014
- GrowthWheel® Certified Instructor Training Course, 2014
- Trade Promotion Coordinating Committee (TPCC) Interagency Trade Officer Course, 2012
- Project Management Professional (PMP) Exam Preparation Course, 2011
- LACBFFA, U.S. Customs Broker Exam Preparation Course, 2010
- USDOC Bureau of Industry and Security, How to Develop an Export Management and Compliance Program, 2009
- U.S. Census Bureau, AES Compliance Seminar, 2009
- USDOE BIE (Title VIB), Directors' Conference, 2008 and 2010
- Ex-Im Bank Delegated Authority (for Lenders), 2008
- Overseas Private Investment Corporation (OPIC) Enterprise Development Network, 2008
- Certified NxLevel® Instructor, 2007
- USDOC BIS, Complying with U.S. Export Controls, 2007
- Heartland Economic Development Graduate (CEcD training), 2006
- The Extraordinary Leader: Going from Good to Great, 2005
- Basic Supervision, 2004
- Influencing for Win-Win Outcomes, 2004
- Situational Leadership, 2004
- Employee Performance Planning and Appraisal, 2004
- Access 2000 Introduction and Intermediate, 2003
- NAFTA Certificate and Rules of Origin, 2003
- GLOBE: Global Leadership Opportunities for Business Executives, 2002
- Diversity Training, 2002
- Creating a Customer-Centered Culture Video Workshop, 2002
- NAFSA F-1 Regulations for Beginners, 2000
- Time with family and friends
- Community outreach (especially within the international trade community)
- International travel & culture
- Being surrounded by nature
The following is a list of international trade groups and organizations with which I am affiliated. Please click the "+" icons for more details.
Status: District 6080 Leadership Team (VSE Team Lead - Chile) and Past President/International Service Chair/Youth Services Chair/Webmaster, West Plains (Noon) Rotary Club
Rotary International unites leaders from all continents, cultures, and occupations to exchange ideas and take action in communities around the world.
MU Alumni Association
Status: Member, MU Alumni Association Ozarks Black & Gold Chapter
The Ozarks Black & Gold Mizzou Chapter serves more than 700 MAA members and Mizzou graduates in Douglas, Howell, Oregon, Ozark, Shannon, and Texas counties. The chapter has maintained Capstone Status, MAA's highest chapter recognition level, since the program's inception.
MSU–WP Business, Entrepreneurship & Management Advisory Board
Status: Advisory Board Member
Missouri State University – West Plains Business, Entrepreneurship & Management Advisory Board
State Alumni is a global community that offers a dynamic and interactive networking experience for all past and current participants of U.S. government-sponsored exchange programs.
American Association of Exporters and Importers (AAEI)
American Association of Exporters and Importers (AAEI) seeks to achieve tangible benefits for members by promoting efficiency, economy and professionalism in global trade through advocacy, education and communication. For more than 80 years, AAEI has been the national voice of American business in support of fair and open trade among nations. AAEI believes that unwise trade restrictions and protectionism ultimately injure the world’s largest consumer market and the world’s largest exporter – the United States. AAEI’s expertise in international trade and customs matters is widely recognized in Washington and other national capitals. AAEI is the only national association dedicated exclusively to representing the interests of both American exporters and importers before U.S. government agencies, Congress, the Trade Community, international organizations, and foreign governments.
California Fashion Association (CFA)
The California Fashion Association (CFA) is a non-profit organization established to provide information for business expansion and growth to the apparel and textile industry of California. CFA goals include industry networking; defining the industry’s economic impact; global sourcing and export issues; labor law compliance defined; and the advancement of fashion education.
District Export Council of Southern California (DECSC)
Status: Programs Committee Chair
The District Export Council of Southern California (DECSC) is an organization of leaders from the local business community, appointed by successive Secretaries of Commerce, whose knowledge of international business provides a source of professional advice for local firms. DECSC members volunteer their time to sponsor and participate in numerous trade promotion activities. They also supply specialized expertise to small and medium-sized businesses that are interested in exporting.
Export-Import Bank of the United States City/State Partners Initiative
Status: City/State Partner for California
The Export-Import Bank of the United States City/State Partners Initiative brings state, county, and local non-profit economic development entities together with Ex-Im Bank in a partnership designed to expand export opportunities.
Foreign Trade Association
The Foreign Trade Association of California (FTA) is a private, non-profit trade association that represents over 200 members of the international trade community.The FTA is the oldest organization promoting the growth of international trade in Southern California. It acts as an informative resource and networking center for its members, and monitors and advocates legislative issues on a state and federal level. The membership is represented by a cross-section of major exporters, importers, manufacturers, customs brokers, freight forwarders, international bankers, attorneys and other prominent service industries. VIEW MEMBER DIRECTORY
GlobalTrade.net is a community resource for international trade providing a Knowledge Resource and a cross-border Database of International Trade Service Providers. It is run by FITA Online, with the support of the Federation of International Trade Associations, together with the U.S. Commercial Service, ThomasNet, Alibaba and Kompass.
International Trade Education Program (ITEP)
Status: Gardena High School Global Business Academy Advisory Board Member
International Trade Education Program (ITEP) introduces high school students to careers in international trade, transportation and logistics. ITEP unites business people and educators to prepare students for a meaningful place in the world of tomorrow. Through the work of their academies, they help meet the needs of the international trade community while providing exceptional opportunities to ITEP graduates.
International Visitors Council of Los Angeles (IVCLA)
Status: Active Event Participant
The International Visitors Council – Los Angeles is a non-profit, non-partisan organization. Their mission is to create international understanding and cooperation between the Los Angeles region and the rest of the world. IVCLA works to accomplish this mission through the professional meetings and cultural activities we arrange for emerging international leaders who are individually selected by U.S. embassies throughout the world and sponsored by other public and private organizations.
Los Angeles Area Chamber of Commerce
The Los Angeles Area Chamber of Commerce works to advance global trade in the region and help local businesses build international relationships and expand global reach. The Global Initiatives Council works to create employment opportunities throughout Southern California by increasing exports, imports and foreign investment for companies of all sizes, and for the communities in which they conduct business.
Los Angeles Customs Brokers & Freight Forwarders Association (LACBFFA)
The Los Angeles Customs Brokers & Freight Forwarders Association (LACBFFA) is the premier organization in Southern California for international trade logistics providers representing common business interests of Customs Brokers and Freight Forwarders as professionals in dealing with government, carriers, industry and one another.
Status: Member of the Board of Governors
NASBITE International is a professional organization for the global business community. Members include global business educators and trainers at academic institutions; trade specialists at federal, state and local trade assistance organizations, and practitioners that engage in or facilitate global business activity.
State International Development Organizations (SIDO)
State International Development Organizations (SIDO) is the premiere U.S. organization dedicated to supporting state international trade agencies. SIDO is the only national organization focused exclusively on state international trade development. SIDO helps state international trade agencies better serve American exporters by sharing innovative ideas and resources, developing the skills of state trade professionals, advocating the interests of states in trade promotion, and facilitating multi-state collaboration.
TradePort Collaborator is a private, password-protected online workspace for the California Trade Partner (CTP) organizations to share information and resources, to track discussions on key topics of interest, and to work together on particular initiatives and various sub-committees. It is designed to provide online tools for the CTP to better serve California’s global trade community on a statewide basis.
Women in International Trade-Los Angeles (WIT-LA)
Status: Vice President and Communications Chair
Women in International Trade – Los Angeles (WIT-LA) is a California non-profit organization founded in 1985 by professional women involved in international trade to provide professional and personal enrichment to its members. WIT-LA members are women and men pursuing careers in international fields including import, export, customs brokerage, freight forwarding, transportation, U.S. Customs and the legal, accounting, consulting, and other trade services. WIT-LA is a member of the global Organization of Women in International Trade (OWIT).
World Trade Week (WTW)
Status: Education Committee Member
World Trade Week (WTW) is an initiative of the L.A. Area Chamber and dedicates itself to educating the public on the importance and benefits of global trade on the local and national economy through a series of educational programs and events. World Trade is celebrated throughout the month of May with more than 40 events hosted by partnering organizations in Southern California that are jumpstarted by the Chamber's Annual WTW Kickoff Breakfast with more than 500 guests. World Trade Week supports college and high school scholarships, high school student and career counselor workshops, as well as briefings for civic and business leaders interested in benefiting from the global economy.
Collection of some previous events and activities.
SelectUSA Foreign Direct Investment Summit
LA Chamber VOICE (quote on page 6)
Hong Kong Food Expo 2012
Sing Tao Usa News - Hong Kong Food Show (California STEP Program)
LA Chamber VOICE (quote on page 11)
L.A. TIMES: Business groups form partnership to give export advice
10/31/2012 | L.A. TIMES:
Business groups form partnership to give export advice
LAWA International Trade Series Presentation
American Fellows Program, Partners of the Americas
Amcham MOU - El Nuevo Diario, Managua, Nicaragua
St. Charles Trade Forum
Washington, Missouri Export Workshop
Missouri Governor's Commission on Hispanic Affairs Annual Report 2004